Make a rain water planter
In this practical morning workshop, you will discover how to:
- Choose a container and a position for a rain planter
- Fit a downpipe diverter onto a downpipe and correctly install a water butt, allowing it to overflow into the rain planter
- Add drainage, suitable soil and an overflow pipe to a rain planter
- Choose plants that will thrive in the aspect and conditions
A handout will be provided detailing all the techniques, plants and materials used.
And each household will receive a free downpipe diverter to take home!
Best of all – Shalbourne Primary School will be left with three completed rain planters ready to receive rainwater and help keep our rivers clean.
Workshop led by:
- Wendy Allen – RHS Gold medal-winning garden designer, specialising in creative rainwater management and sustainable drainage systems
- Charlotte Hitchmough – Action for the River Kennet
Bring your own gloves and water. Tools and instruction provided, but useful tools if you wish to bring your own are: trowel, shovel, fork, battery drill, hacksaw, stanley knife.
Tea, coffee, cake provided.
This is the first in a series of Rain Garden UK workshops funded by Thames Water and Wiltshire Community Solar Fund